- USDIndex peaked to 107.20 but it lost altitude into the close, now at 106.40. The hawkish outlook from the Fed’s Bullard weighed on bonds and stocks, though the markets managed to pare losses late in the day. Bullard stressed that the funds rate needs to go higher and into restrictive territory and suggested a worst case scenario of 7%. Yields – 10-year climbed to 3.80% before dipping to 3.767%.
- Stocks –choppier but was generally underwater due to the Fed outlook, recession fears, and ongoing geopolitical risks. But losses were trimmed, leaving the US100 down -0.35%, the US500 off -0.31%, and the US30 fractionally lower.
- EUR – choppy at 1.038, struggling to break 200-day SMA.
- JPY – holding below 140.
- GBP – holds above 1.1900, as UK retail sales rebounded in October. However, Sales are down more than 6% on the year on both measures and the data are a flagging the impact inflation and the erosion of real disposable income are having on overall activity. GDP already contracted in the third quarter of the year and the fourth quarter is likely to be worse. Chancellor Hunt did his best to sell his budget as measured and appropriate, but the prospect of a rising tax burden just as mortgage costs are on a steep incline will hit consumption and overall growth further.
- USOil – down -5% to $81.20, impacted by the stronger dollar earlier, as well as on fears a recession will crimp demand along with signs that supply chains are easing.
- Gold – down to $1760 on very hawkish Bullard.
Today: ECB’s President Lagarde, German Buba President Nagel & BoE’s Haskel speeches
Biggest FX Mover @NZDUSD +0.61%% (06:30 GMT) bounced to 0.6170. MAs aligning flattened, MACD lines remain positive & RSI at 62 but flat indicating that bullish bias might run out of steam. H1 ATR 0.00144, Daily ATR 0.01107.
Click here to access our Economic Calendar
Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in Leveraged Products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.